Home saver

You should read this document carefully in conjunction with our Savings terms and conditions booklet to ensure you understand the features and conditions of what you are buying and keep it safe for future reference. Our savings accounts are only available to UK residents.

Account name

Home saver

What is the interest rate?

Interest rate band

Interest rate


4.25% Gross/AER variable

  • If the balance falls below the minimum operating balance, a variable rate of 1.50% gross/AER will be paid.

  • Interest is variable and calculated daily and paid annually on 31 October or upon closure. Annual interest can be credited to this account, to another Newbury Building Society account or your bank account.

  • Rate of interest payable depends on individual circumstances and may be subject to change.

Can Newbury Building Society change the interest rate?

What would the estimated balance be after 12 months based on a £100 deposit per month?

Interest rate band

Estimated balance



  • This estimation is based on an initial deposit of £100 made on 1 November followed by a monthly deposit of £100 paid on 1st of every month for 11 months.

  • This estimation is for illustrative purposes only and does not reflect individual circumstances.

How do I open and manage my account?

  • Account can be opened in single or joint names.

  • Available to those aged 16 and over.

  • One account per customer.

  • This account can be opened and operated in branch, via post or online.

  • To open or operate this account online the minimum age is 18 years.

  • Account holder/s must be resident in England or Wales.

  • The minimum opening and operating balance is £10.

  • If you are opening your account without a deposit, the opening deposit must be made after the account has been approved and within 14 calendar days. Once the deposit is received, we will send the passbook to you. If the opening deposit is not received within 14 calendar days, then the account will be closed.

  • The maximum opening balance is £500.

  • A deposit must be made each calendar month (multiple deposits can be made each month subject to the minimum and maximum monthly amounts):

    • Minimum monthly deposit = £10

    • Maximum monthly deposit = £500

  • Monthly deposits can be made by cash, cheque or transfer from a bank account only. Failure to make a monthly deposit will result in the account being transferred to an Instant premium account.

  • The maximum balance is £20,000. Interest added to the account will count towards the maximum balance. Once the balance has reached the maximum, the account will be transferred to an Instant premium account (an easy access, variable rate account that may be subject to change in the future). We will contact you to organise a savings review and discuss alternative accounts.

Can I withdraw money?

Withdrawals can be made:

  • Two withdrawals can be made from the account per calendar year.

  • Withdrawals can be made:

    • Up to £500 cash per day in branch

    • By cheque against cleared funds in branch or by post

    • By electronic payment in branch to your nominated account (up to £50,000).

    • Via the myaccounts online service to your nominated account (up to £50,000).

    • By CHAPS for electronic payments to your nominated account (over £50,000).

Additional information

Important notes

Gross rate is the contractual rate of interest payable before the deduction of income tax at the rate specified by law.

AER stands for Annual Equivalent Rate and illustrates what the interest rate would be if interest was paid and compounded once each year.


Call: 01635 555700 | Visit: newbury.co.uk

Newbury Building Society is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (Financial Services Register number 206077). English Law applies and we will communicate with you in English. We are participants of the Financial Ombudsman Service. We have a complaints procedure which we will provide on request. Most complaints that we cannot resolve can be referred to the Financial Ombudsman Service. 9768